Thursday, April 13, 2006

Grandmaster of Mediocrity

For the many years I have played Chess, I have run into two problems. The first is that I have always sucked. The second is that I could only find a limited number of people to play against. I realized in order to become better at Chess, I needed to study and various publishers and bookstores have been happy to oblige in that pursuit. Many Chess tomes I have opened but never finished leaving a great sadness surrounding these unread books. Consequently, my skills never strengthened, in fact, they have always stayed the same, mediocre. Through the webernet, I've discovered many place where I could play, play anonymously that is. Though I am playing many more games, my level of play has once again reached its level of mediocrity. On a side note, I am planning on playing real people in real situations. In one week, I journey to my first quad — okay, the people I will play are Chess geeks in a public library, but I swear these people are real. Once again I set out to study some more. Again. Again. Again. If my shoulders coudl slump any further, they'd be called my elbows. This time I went to the webernet. I was thinking about finding some way build my own lesson plan beginning with, what else, openings! I've always been embarrassed that I didn't know the difference between the King Indian's Defense and the Queen Latifah Gambit. As I searched and searched for some sort of lesson plan, through the power of Google, I discovered Michael de la Maza's Rapid Chess Improvement. I am about to embark on this journey, though I can't pretend to understand exactly what I'm getting into and I can't completely ignore Silman's complaints:
When all is said and done, I can’t recommend RAPID CHESS IMPROVEMENT (a book that, in my view, offers a philosophically bankrupt vision of what chess is). It smacks of “the blind leading the blind.” But, as I said earlier, his book might prove useful for some.
I need to start from somewhere. And I know, God, do I know, I can't go back to the old way which has never worked. Though I may stray from de la Maza's path, it provides me a catalyst to move forward to the simple goal of getting better at Chess. Tomorrow night is the first night of 14 nights of concentric squares. I can already feel my shoulders moving back towards the clavicle.

1 Comments:

Blogger BlunderProne said...

Huzzah! Welcome fellow Knight Errant! We all have our own path to follow. Come with us and blunder and pillage...or rather plunder and billow? Well you get the gist of it.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home